Sunday, June 7, 2009

The more things change, the more they stay the same....





After watching Leslie Gore, Fiona Apple, and Lil Kim's music videos, I can't say that I think we've changed very much in the last 35 years.  It's easy to say we've come a long way since "I'll cry if I want to", but have we?  I'd argue women are being objectified more than ever, and what's worse is they're completely aware of it.  And what's even worse than that is this completely affects our students and their perceptions of society, of each other, and of themselves.

I had heard these three songs many times before, but only now really started to think about the lyrics and videos critically.  Leslie Gore epitomizes the idea of the female gender role - submissive, helpless, and defined by the man in her life: Johnny (who, on an unrelated note, makes her whiny, materialistic, and completely overly dramatic as well).  She is completely powerless (can't do anything about her current situation other than cry about it), and is viewed as little more than the (undesired) object of affection.  Initially, I thought of this as a catchy 60's song (and coincidentally the best song from one of my childhood favorites, Problem Child), but it really is so much more than that when you start to look below the surface.  What kind of message is being sent with a song like this?

I'd have to admit I feel a bit differently about the "Criminal" video than I do the other two, as I'm not sure it really falls into the same category.  As a one-time huge Fiona fan, I've heard "Criminal" about a million times.  While that doesn't necessarily make me an expert, I think that this song is definitely more of a personal reflection of her own life than it is a commentary or reflection of the social construction of gender roles.  In late middle and high school, I was a huge fan of "angry chick music", that is, Fiona, Tori Amos, Alanis, Liz Phair (whitechocolatespaceegg, NOT the recent stuff), PJ Harvey, Ani Difranco, you name it.  Like Fiona, many of these female artists acknowledged sexuality in their songs.  I don't think this acknowledgement makes Fiona an object, but is  on the contrary rather quite empowering.  Apple was sexually abused as a child, and I think that this leads to the disturbing nature of this particular video, not the fact that she is trying to objectify women.  While I don't claim to be any sort of feminist at all, I think  it is wrong to assume that any sexually submissive woman is trying to be a sex object.  Taking the "Criminal" video completely out of context of her background and other songs, it might appear that Fiona Apple is trying to use her sexuality to give her some sort of power that she wouldn't normally have.  Instead, I would argue that much of this song is actually quite masculine in nature, "I've been careless with delicate man" is a complete role reversal from Leslie and Johnny! What's unfortunate is that regardless of her intentions, the voyeuristic nature of the video, the random bodies on the floor, the blatant sexual innuendos, and the fact that Apple admits to being a sexual being objectifies women anyway, as demonstrated by this assignment.  Women who are sexually compliant are going to be seen as "sluts" by society.  That word connotes powerlessness and objectification anyway, and it is inevitable that Fiona's video is also a step backwards for female empowerment.  Too bad.

This leads me to the Lil Kim video, which, I have to admit I had heard before but had never actually seen, and was watching this video with my mouth open in awe.  Lil Kim, unlike Fiona, is blatantly objectifying women.  Yes, she is clearly going a step beyond by explicitly asking for sex instead of just alluding to the fact that it happened, but she is also presenting herself as a mass-produced commodity or plaything (dolls and candy?!)  This is seen as female empowerment, and honestly it makes me sick.  She claims to be in charge, yet she dressing that way and singing that way for 100% male enjoyment.

As I read over this blog post, I realize I'm not sure what the exact point I'm trying to make is.  But I think what we need to be doing with this information as educators is teaching awareness of it to our students.  So many of my female students go around singing lyrics to Flo Rida and Britney Spears "All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek amy."  (Seriously, Brit?  No one's falling for that) acting like it's cute or something.  The thing is, I'm not even sure that they know the implications of that.  I also read these same girls' editorials (who all coincidentally choose to write on the same topic) against school dress codes for low cut shirts and short shorts.  It breaks my heart when I read them write things like: "unless you can see my butt cheeks, I can wear whatever I want", or "people just shouldn't look at me no matter what I'm wearing."  What they don't realize is that they are going to get treated the way they look, which is much older than 16 and 17, and society and pop culture basically justifies that behavior for both the men and women.  Not only is it socially acceptable, but almost desirable for these female students to be completely objectified.    In that sense, no, we haven't really come that far from Leslie Gore and her cry-baby ways.  Women's power is still inevitably coming from the man.  I'm not saying we should ban Britney and Flo Rida from our student's iPods, but if nothing else, we should teach pop culture in education so that students can be aware of this hypocrisy, in gender roles and in other groups in society.  We need to teach our citizens to be informed, educated, and aware citizens when they leave our classroom.  Teaching students to think critically about the information presented to them is a perfect way to do this.  

7 comments:

  1. I actually completely agree with you about the Apple video. I think there are several layers of complexity to that video not only in the lyrics and images, but like you said, in the context of the artist's own history. I think the song/video was actually very well thought out to get people to ask questions and really think about the meaning. That cannot be said for the other videos, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I agree that we really haven't come that far from Leslie gore's video. Even though females overtime are continually breaking through these stereotypes and roles, they're not COMPLETELY changing it. They're seen as rebels and perhaps idols for having the audacity to challenge such expectations. With that, females may choose to follow their actions or acknowledge their audacious ways a continue to be the person they want to be.

    However, in order for females to NOT simply give in to these ways of thinking / dressing, they need to think critically about pop culture and how it affects society (as you mentioned in your blog). I completely agree with you! As an adolescent, I remember going through the stage when I wanted to wear shorter shorts and deep-cut shirts. I would walk down the stairs and my dad would tell me to get my ass upstairs and put some actual clothes on. I HATED him for that. Now, looking back, I wish I would have been educated about the situation, rather than scolded. Students need to know WHY there's a dress-code and WHY certain clothing is labeled provocative. Even if they continue to dress/behave in an inappropriate manner, at least they know WHY they're doing it and WHAT may come of it. Ahh, freedom of choice....it's not always so great. haha. Denver tomorrow; get excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,

    I've been thinking about your final thoughts about what to do to get students to think critically about the pop music that they are consuming in order to move past the seemingly passive objectification that was not only in Leslie Gore's song but also in Lil' Kim's. I wonder if part of the lesson has to do with coming up with more positive role models for handling sexuality than using sex as the means of force feeding a product to the masses (like Lil' Kim's music). I'm not sure that I can think of a positive example of using sexuality in pop music that everyone could relate to: a star like Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's springs to mind. She is a confident woman who presents herself as attractive but not as an object for ogling or just sexuality. Her attraction is tied to the power that she seems to wield with her music. I know it may seem too editorial to posit examples like that to students who want to wear super short skirts to class, but maybe that's a way to at least begin moving things in a different direction.

    John Byrnes
    www.blog.lib.umn.edu/byrne201/heorot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Kubsch!

    First, good point about how female artists (in the vain of Lil Kim) are aware of this objectification (and young viewers are "taught" about its power). So why, when the message being sent is in the hands of a female artist (assuming she had choice in the production of the song and video), would she choose to send it? Is the primary reason behind this choice really just to do whatever makes the most money?

    Also, good points on the Fiona Apple video. She seems like an artist who would be conscious and careful about the points she makes and the messages she sends to young women. And I agree with Jamie's point about educating young people about WHY these issues are important and why the decisions about how what they wear sends messages to other people.

    Side note: Kim, please stop stealing people's dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kimberly,

    I was surprised that you would think that we hadn’t come so far, but after reading your views on Leslie Gore’s video, I understand and even agree, somewhat. In the venue of music videos and pop culture media, a woman’s power is still derived from men, but I don’t think we’re at the same place with gender roles as we were in the early 1960s. That would discount the sexual revolution and women’s movements entirely. I think we still have a long way to go, but I think that it is something that Lil’ Kim and Fiona Apple can create songs about their sexuality (as different as they may be in themes, tones, dance moves, etc) and reach the level of popularity that both of these songs reached. If Leslie Gore had sang about being cast away after sleeping with Johnny, the song would not have received airplay/publicity and we wouldn’t be able to discuss the progress of women in the media using it as a mile marker. Now, though our public roles are still moderated and mediated by and through men, one has to admit that our sphere as women in mass media has grown significantly. That being said, I can’t say that I enjoy Lil’ Kim’s video or lyrics too much (though I do admit to dancing to it in my high school years) or that I think she is a positive role model for young girls. I think Fiona is a much more worthy candidate for that title, though I’m not sure she would want it.

    Lastly, I would just like to say that I completely agree with your point that it is our duty as educators to help make our students aware of what is being constantly thrown at them and give them tools to analyze and dissect the pop culture that they encounter in their daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed how you used your personal experience to explain your take on the Fiona Apple video. I agree with you that this video could much more complex when looking at with her personal story in mind. I also grew up with a fondness for “angry chick music” although I was listening to Liz Phair during the Exile In Guyville era. She is who I thought of when I watched Criminal. When I read your blog, I realized that what I liked about both artists is that they let these topics be complex. The video makes us uncomfortable, but we think it is a good video.

    As teachers, we can help students develop their critical thinking so that they can appreciate these very different “styles” of female music performers. I agree with you that it is scary that our society encourages teenage girls to look and act like adults. Becoming aware of these social messages and pressures is very important for youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim!

    I love that your singled out Liz Phair's "older" music "not" the newer - ha! I feel the same, once she went all KS95, I was like: "count me out."

    Peace,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete